Seek Help

When to seek help 

If your life is in danger CALL 000 

CMW does not provide crisis services. If you need help now, please call one of the phone numbers below which are available for support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: 

Need an Interpreter?  

If you need an interpreter to help speak with any of the above services, please call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 131 450. Access the website for more information here  

Information for when you are feeling uncertain about what to do. 

When you are experiencing mental health problems, supportive and reliable information can help you make informed choices and could change your life. 

Please remember, you are not alone. 

Everybody feels down, sad, frustrated, stressed or anxious at times, but it’s important to be able to recognise when a mood or behavioural change has become more than a temporary thing. 

CMW’s team includes a “navigator,” someone who community members can call with questions and/or seek support in navigating the service system. This person will answer questions from community members and refer individuals onto the appropriate and accredited services when required. 

If you would like assistance in navigating the Mental Health system please call 0472 668 010 or contact 

There are a number of emotional, physical and behavioural signs that will show if you are experiencing mental ill health. They will be different for everyone and each individual will experience them to varying degrees. 

Feelings will fluctuate from person to person, but you may be feeling any of the below: 

  • sad, teary, anxious or irritable 
  • hopeless and bad about yourself 
  • alone and isolated 
  • exhausted 
  • guilty 
  • angry 
  • very worried or afraid most of the time 
  • tense and on edge 
  • nervous or scared 
  • panicky 
  • irritable, agitated 
  • worried you’re going crazy 
  • detached from your body 
  • feeling like you may vomit 

Our thoughts are all unique and there is no way of telling exactly what words you may use in this situation, but you may be thinking: 

  • ‘My problems are too difficult to solve’ 
  • ‘Life is too hard’ 
  • ‘Everything’s going to go wrong’ 
  • ‘I can’t carry on.’ 
  • ‘I’m no good’ 
  • ‘It’s all my fault’ 
  • ‘everything’s going to go wrong’ 
  • ‘I might die’ 
  • ‘I can’t handle the way I feel’ 
  • ‘I can’t focus on anything but my worries’ 
  • ‘I don’t want to go out today’ 
  • ‘I can’t calm myself down’ 

Consider changes to what you think is your normal behaviour, as these vary drastically between individuals, but you may be experiencing any of the below: 

  • changes in motivation 
  • inability to find enjoyment and pleasure in things 
  • lack of quality of sleep 
  • fluctuating appetite or weight 
  • dynamic change in sexual interest, either up or down 
  • lack of concentration and memory 
  • increased drinking or use of drugs. 
  • feelings that are incredibly high or euphoric 
  • delusions of self-importance 
  • unusually high levels of creativity, energy and activity 
  • racing thoughts, racing speech, talking over people 
  • impulsiveness and making poor choices 
  • grand and unrealistic plans 
  • delusions, hallucinations 
  • pounding heart 
  • sweating 
  • ‘pins and needles’ 
  • tummy aches, churning stomach 
  • lightheadedness, dizziness 
  • twitches, trembling 
  • excessive thirst 

Generally, you should seek professional help if you are noticing one or more of these signs and they are: 

  • constant or noticeable most of the time; 
  • persisting for a period of about two weeks or more; 
  • affecting your daily life in a negative way. 

However, if you are feeling any concerns for your personal mental health and wellbeing at all, there is never a wrong time to seek help. You are encouraged to seek help at any time. 

There is no shame in asking for professional help:  

  • We have been created by Allah to be tested on our strength: 

Who has created death and life, that He may test you which of you is best in deed. And He is the All-Mighty, the Oft-Forgiving – Surah Al Mulk, Ayah 2 

  • While dua and prayer is the number one solution for our trials, there is no problem in seeking help from others when needed. 
  • Mental health issues are real illnesses and treatments should be sought. 

Getting professional help 

Only a trained health professional can specifically diagnose someone with a mental health condition or disorder. 

The best place to start is a trusted GP or General Practitioner. 

It is recommended that you book a longer appointment for your consultation. You don’t have to tell anyone what it is for when you are booking. However, you are encouraged to be as open as possible with your GP during the consultation so they have as much information as possible to help you. 

What to expect at the consultation 

During this consult, GP may conduct an initial general check-up and then move onto some specific assessments. 

There are a number of recommendations that your GP might make based on their assessment of the situation, which can include: 

  • referral to a mental health professional, like a psychiatrist or psychologist 
  • prescription of medication 
  • lifestyle recommendations, like increased exercise or better sleep practices 
  • information sheets and documents 

You can choose to not go with the recommendations of your GP depending on how comfortable you feel about them. 

Alternative options 

Counsellors, social workers, occupational therapists and registered nurses are also trained in mental health if you don’t wish to go to your GP to discuss these thoughts and feelings. 

CMW has compiled a database of culturally responsive mental health practitioners and services that meet the needs of multicultural communities, including psychologists, counsellors, social workers and other health professionals which you can access here:  

The list includes practitioners and services that are bilingual, offer telehealth, accept mental health treatment plans, have cultural intelligence (CQ) training and are all registered with their relevant health regulatory body. 

There are plenty of ways to support other people, or be supported if you are feeling anxious or uncertain.


Online and web-chat support and counselling for 12-25 year olds, their family and friends.

Contact:1800 650 893


Online and phone counselling for people living, working, or studying in Melbourne’s northern, central, and western suburbs. 

Contact: 1300 096 269




Professional phone, web-chat, email support and forums for people living with complex mental health issues.

Contact: 1800 187 263



Free telephone and online service for people with stress, worry, anxiety, low mood or depression. It provides online assessment and treatment for anxiety and depression and can help you find local services. 

Contact: 1800 614 434


National 24/7 telehealth provider that offers free professional phone and online counselling for people feeling suicidal or caring for someone who is feeling suicidal.

Contact: 1300 659 467


Head to Health is a good place to start if you, or someone you care about, needs help managing anxiety and worry. It provides access to free and low cost telephone and online mental health and support services.



Youth focused mental health and support services 

Satellite Foundation supports children and young people who have a parent with a mental illness. The Foundation offers peer support and interactive workshops that support and empower young people.


Confidential counselling, information and support for people impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence and abuse via phone or online chat. 

Contact: 1800 737 732


Confidential alcohol and drug counselling and referral service.

Contact: 1800 888 236


Telephone and web counselling, information, and referral service for LGBTQI+ people. 

Contact: 1800 184 527


QLife provides anonymous and free LGBTIQ+ peer support and referral.

Contact: 1800 184 527


Yarning SafeNStrong helpline is a confidential crisis line supporting the social and emotional wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders living in Victoria.